It’s not just that this sweet and moist little snacking cake combines the flavours of banana and Nutella, which might be the best flavour combination ever, but it’s also super fast to make, and relatively healthy, too. Lots of banana gets joined by applesauce, a little milk, some flour, and reduced oil and sugar. Oh, and the Nutella. There’s always the Nutella.
Apparently when I was a child I was a little bit cra-zy about Nutella. Now as a sage adult, I don’t usually buy the stuff, but somehow, it was everywhere I looked last week and I couldn’t resist. As Cookie Monster would say, it’s a “sometimes” food, but the nice thing about this recipe is that it just takes 2 tablespoons of it and swirls it up with the rest of the cake batter, so less is more. You can get a little bit in every bite without ODing on the stuff.
Did I also mention how incredibly easy and fast this recipe came together? Zip zip zip–it’s together, and then is baked in 20 min. If you want a FAST and deceptively decadent dessert, go for this. Just make sure you always keep some bananas in the freezer and Nutella in the cupboard…tucked behind a big jar of green lentils if you need to hide it a bit.
Are we still here, having this conversation? Go forth and bake up some sweetness!
(Note: this would be an easy recipe to veganize: simply swap the milk with almond or soy milk, and replace the egg with your favourite vegan egg substitute.)
|Banana Nutella Swirl Cake||
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup banana, mashed (about two medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp Nutella
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly mist a 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, from the flour to the cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the mashed banana, applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended.
- Pour into your baking dish. In half-teaspoonfuls, dot the surface of the batter with the Nutella. Using a sharp knife, swirl it through the batter.
- Place cake in the middle of your oven and cook for 20 min. Cake is done when tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about 20 min. Cake will be very tender and delicate, so remove carefully from pan. Or just cut and serve from pan.